Monday, March 19, 2012

Gardening! (Part 2)

I've started my Garden!

I found a quote today that perfectly expresses my feelings of my garden and my plants. It's by Nathaniel Hawthorne and he says: "I used to visit and revisit it a dozen times a day, and stand in deep contemplation over my vegetable progeny with a love that nobody could share or conceive of who had never taken part in the process of creation. It was one of the most bewitching sights in the world to observe a hill of beans thrusting aside the soil, or a rose of early peas just peeping forth sufficiently to trace a line of delicate green."

I started some seeds inside so they will be ready in mid-May for planting outside. I planted 6 watermelons, 12 broccoli, 12 Tiny Tim tomatoes, 12 Beefsteak tomatoes, and 12 Early Girl tomatoes.

I will be planting cucumbers in about 3 weeks as well.

I planted the seeds on Friday March 16th. As per the seed packets, I was expecting to see some sprouts within 7 - 10 days. Instead, I saw the first sprouts yesterday!!

Yesterday was the 18th! So in TWO days I had my first broccoli sprouts. Now (the 19th) I have 11 Broccoli sprouts and I can see 2 watermelon sprouts just about to break the surface.

How exciting to put a seed in a bit of dirt, add some water and sun and see a plant grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment